Thursday, June 9, 2011

Fedora 15 & GNOME 3 Crash.

Some PCs have issues when installed with Fedora 15 and GNOME 3 as its desktop manager.  On my Compaq Presario R3000 labptop, I was unable to login due to crash in subsystem (gnome-shell).  When I tried to login, it display a message something like "unrecovered ...".

The problem is that GNOME3 is not stable enough to be run on some machines/video cards with 3D (perhaps Nouveau driver unable to execute 100% of the required GNOME3 features?).  Some people in the Internet said that by executing the following command it should fix the issue, but not in my case:

gsettings set org.gnome.desktop.session session-name gnome-fallback

After googling around, I found a good solution:

sudo rpm --nodeps -e gnome-shell

This has fixed my GNOME problem.  I could now login to the fallback mode (GNOME2-like)

6 comments:

  1. Black Jack Shellac6/21/2011 3:32 AM

    So your solution was to erase gnome 3 shell. That'll show 'em.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just use compiz. It's my solution ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Even Linus Torvald also hates this GNOME-3. He even switched to Xcfe desktop environment

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am a beginner in fedora. Just testing install fedora15 and it crash every time i login. It will ask me to log. I am thinking to try your solution

    sudo rpm --nodeps -e gnome-shell

    but how do I go to terminal if I can not login at all?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Go to console:

    Ctrl - Alt - F1

    ReplyDelete